Liquor Licensing

The NSW liquor licensing laws provide a framework to enable a liquor licence to be issued for a range of hospitality, dining and entertainment activities. Whether you are setting up a new business and need to apply for a liquor license in NSW, to update your current liquor license, or simply need general information on liquor licensing laws, Szabo & Associates can help you with legal advice and services.

Types of Liquor Licences in NSW

Under the new liquor licensing laws, there are 6 types of liquor licences in NSW:

Hotel liquor licence - these liquor licences apply to premises where the primary purpose is the sale and supply of alcohol, including accommodation hotels and small/large bars.

Club liquor licence - these liquor licences apply to registered clubs in NSW.

Packaged liquor licence - these liquor licences apply to liquor stores selling take-away alcohol, and to online sales of alcohol.

On-premises liquor licence - these liquor licences apply to a variety of purposes including accommodation venues, restaurants, catering services, vessels, tourism businesses, tertiary institutions, and public entertainment venues.

Producer/wholesaler liquor licence - these liquor licences apply to wine producers, brewers, distillers, and wholesalers. This allows wholesalers of alcohol to sell to other liquor licensees.

Limited liquor licence - these liquor licences allow alcohol sales for consumption on licensed premises such as functions, special events or trade fairs.

Liquor Licensing Laws in NSW

New liquor licensing laws were introduced on the 1st of July 2008. There was a comprehensive reform of liquor licensing laws after 25 years of multiple authorities, including the Casino Control Authority, the Licensing Court of NSW and the Liquor Administration Board. This resulted in the Liquor Act 2007, and the Liquor Regulation 2008 in NSW.

These liquor licensing laws are now the responsibility of the Casino, Liquor and Gaming Control Authority (CLGCA) who perform casino, liquor and gaming machine regulatory and other decision-making functions on behalf of the government. It also has similar responsibilities for registered clubs. It is constituted by the Casino, Liquor and Gaming Control Authority Act 2007.

Liquor Licensing & Property

We offer legal advice for the sale and purchase of bottle shops, pubs (including poker machine entitlements), restaurants and hotels in NSW. Not only are there issues with liquor licensing laws, but conveyancing and leasing aspects of these transactions which are essential to seek legal advice for.

We can also assist you with a variety of issues relating to liquor licensing laws in NSW, including:

Applications to vary liquor licence conditions;

Re-definition of premise boundaries for liquor licensing;

Removal and re-location of liquor licences;

Community Impact Statements for liquor licences;

Guidance and project management for applying for a new liquor licence, as well as objecting to the approval of a new liquor licence.

Liquor Licensing Legal Advice in Sydney

Call us on 02 9281 5088 or book a consultation to speak with one of our expert solicitors.

We’re here to help.

Get in touch

Please let us know your name.
Please let us know your email address.
Please enter your phone number.
Please select which service you require?
Please let us know your message.
Please tick the box below
Invalid Input